Tuesday, June 24, 2008

A Long Day

So, last night I started having pain in my chest. It was pretty acute at times but I tried to just brush it off. This moring when I woke up it was even worse. I was convinced I was having a heart attack. Sean went to a work party and he wasn't answering his phone. I tried calling tons of people to come watch Landon so I could go to the ER, but I couldn't get a hold of ANYBODY. By this time I was totally freaking out. I could barely breath and my heart was racing (most likely because I was freaking out). Eventually Sean called me back and I asked him to come home. When we got to the ER they ran tons of tests including blood work, EKG and a chest X-ray. We hung out for a couple hours. Landon was completely bored, Sean was starving, and the whole time I was sportin' the attractive hospital gown.

They were concerned that I might have a blood clot in my lung. But it turns out that I have what is called pleurisy. It is caused by a viral infection. It makes the outer lining of the lungs inflamed and it rubs together every time I breath which causes the pain. The doctor compared it to rubbing 2 peices of sandpaper together. Sounds like fun huh? Although painful, it is not serious. They prescribed some pretty strong anti-inflammatory meds and that should take the swelling down and relieve the pain. I am bugged that we went to the emergency room and it turns out there really isn't anything they could do. But at least my mind is set at ease.

Although it was a long day, Landon did bring a smile to all the people that came in our room. A couple nurses gave him a stuffed bear and a lollipop. He LOVED it. We couldn't get it away from him. By the time the lollipop was gone he had about half of it on the front of his shirt. Thank goodness it was yellow and not red!

2 comments:

Kelly O. said...

Um, and in the midst of all this you couldn't call me on my birthday? TOTALLY kidding... I'm only mentioning it because you seem to think calling me on my birthday is a big deal. I can't believe this! I would've came to the rescue! But then again, I probably wouldn't have brought a stuffed bear and lollipop. I'm glad you're all better!

The Lunds said...

Oh my gosh. That is just crazy. I hope that everything is okay now. I hate having scares like that.